Chapter 9 presents steps you can take to alleviate and perhaps restore a situation. Chapter 10 focuses on negotiating tangible conflicts (usually over scarce resources). In cases where the relationship is important to you (friends, colleagues, spouse, family, etc.), the authors explain how you can use cooperative negotiation techniques. The purpose of this essay is to apply correctly the key concepts, principles, and suggestions from Chapters 9 and 10 to conflicts in your life.
Note that this essay should be based on two chapters, equally. In some cases you can integrate the two chapters as you write, but in other cases you may first want to discuss one chapter and then the other. In either case, you must treat both chapters equally.
In 300-700 words, write a brief essay in which you apply key concepts and suggestions from Chapter 9 and 10 to your own life situation, past, present, or future. The Objectives and Key Terms at the top of Chapters 9 and 10 identify the key concepts in the chapters. Address the following in your essay:
• Define and explain two key concepts from each chapter that stood out to you; please include page numbers, cite from the textbook, and end the essay with a reference to the textbook (citations/ references should be in APA style).
• Include suggestions the authors make for each chapter that would help you better manage conflicts (again include page numbers and references to the textbook)
• Then explain how you could use the concepts that you identified to better manage a conflict in the past, present, or future (it may be one conflict for both chapters or a separate conflict for each chapter).
Your essay must meet the following criteria:
• Minimum/maximum (300-700 words) limit
• Identified 2 key concepts per chapter, defined, and explained them (key concepts are printed in bold in the text).
• Identified at least one suggestion from each chapter.
• Cited the text (with page numbers) and referenced it at the end of the essay.
• Written in the APA style using the correct grammar and spelling
The only reference used will be the textbook Cahn, D., & Abigail, R.A. (2014), Managing conflict through communication (5th Edition)